Right now I know several of the guys at Rogues Gallery are participating and everyone's invited. S'gonna be fun :)
Here are the official parameters, mostly just there to spice things up. Ignore them completely if you want:
-5 Films from the same writer (screenplay writer)
-5 Films centered around the same event/time period
-10 Films from each year of the 00s (1 from each year)
-10 Films of your choice
and 10 Films from the categories above must be films you've not seen before.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course these can overlap. For example if you watched 5 films from the same screenplay writer that you've never seen before, that would knock off the same screnplay writer category and half of the 10 new films required! Then you can use the remaining films to watch whatever you want.
Post what you plan to watch in the comments!
There's so many good movies I haven't seen that I decided most everything I picked would be new to me. Beyond that, I tried to mix it up with both serious and lighter fare. In some cases I also went for convenience with movies available through Netflix On-Demand or friends.
ReplyDelete-5 Films from the same writer (screenplay writer)
I'm going with Billy Wilder, who I know from the quintessential noir (Double Indemnity) and one of my all-time favorite movies (Sunset Blvd)
Ninotchka
A Foreign Affair
Ace in the Hole
Some Like it Hot
The Apartment
-5 Films centered around the same event/time period
I'm maybe cheating a bit here, as I'm picking a mythical era: the time of the stories in Arabian Nights. Just a current fascination.
The Thief of Baghdad (1924)
The Thief of Baghdad (1940)
Aladdin (Disney)
Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves (1944)
Arabian Nights (2000)
-10 Films from each year of the 00s (1 from each year)
2000 – Bring It On
2001 – Gosford Park
2002 – Secretary
2003 – Mystic River
2004 – Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2005 – Howl’s Moving Castle
2006 – The Science of Sleep
2007 – Gone Baby Gone
2008 – Hurt Locker
2009 – 500 Days of Summer
-10 Films of your choice
American Psycho
The Wrestler
It Might Get Loud
Bull Durham
Alfie
Open Water
The Conversation
Heathers
The Fisher King
Up
Nick and Dave were talking about this when we went to see Sherlock Holmes, and I got excited to try it. So here's my list, and (*) indicates a movie I haven't seen before:
ReplyDelete10 Films from 2000s
Moon (2009)*
The Hurt Locker (2008)*
The King of Kong (2007)*
Brick (2006)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
Kill Bill Vol 2 (2004)
Kill Bill Vol 1 (2003)
Minority Report (2002)
Ocean's Eleven (2001)
American Psycho (2000)*
5 Films Around World War II
The Great Escape*
Inglourious Basterds
Saving Private Ryan
Letters from Iwo Jima*
The Dirty Dozen*
5 Films Written By Joel & Ethan Coen
Burn After Reading (2008)*
No Country For Old Men (2007)
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)*
The Big Lebowski (1998)
Miller's Crossing (1990)*
Ten Films Of My Choice
North by Northwest*
Natural Born Killers*
The Godfather
The Godfather Part II*
Iron Man
Crimson Tide
Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Fight Club
Memento
I just cancelled my Netflix due to lack of use, which led me to pick a bunch of stuff I already own. I may end up starting it again just to make this work. As per Randy, *'ed stuff I haven't seen.
ReplyDelete-5 Films from the same writer (screenplay writer)
I went with Akira Kurosawa, who wrote even more than he directed. Plus, I own all these.
Madadayo*
The Sea Is Watching*
Dersu Uzala*
Dodes-kad'en*
Rhapsody In August*
-5 Films centered around the same event/time period
Going with the 47 Ronin story. I have 5 different takes on the same story in my collection.
The 47 Ronin (1947)*
The Loyal 47 Ronin (1958)*
Chushingura (1962)*
Swords of Vengeance (1978)*
47 Ronin (1994)*
-10 Films from each year of the 00s (1 from each year)
2000 – Snatch*
2001 – Amelie*
2002 – Hero
2003 – Zatoichi
2004 – Saw*
2005 – Domino*
2006 – The Prestige*
2007 – There Will Be Blood*
2008 – Slumdog Millionaire*
2009 – Julie and Julia*
-10 Films of your choice
It Might Get Loud*
Porco Rosso*
Shinobi no Mono*
No Country For Old Men*
Pan's Labyrinth*
District 9*
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon*
Bonnie and Clyde*
Hard Boiled
Red Shadow*
This list might change, what with many movies becoming unavailable through Netflix on demand, but I'm going to try and stick with it.
ReplyDelete10 Films from 2000's
Thirteen Days (2000)
Gosford Park (2001)
Salton Sea (2002)
Oldboy (2003)*
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004)
Constant Gardner (2005)*
Pan's Labyrinth (2006)*
Zodiac (2007)*
The Hurt Locker (2008)*
Moon (2009)*
5 Films Written by William Goldman
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Maverick
Ghost and the Darkness
Marathon Man*
All the President's Men
5 Films Surrounding World War II
The Great Escape
A Bridge Too Far*
Bridge of River Kwai*
Das Boot
Inglourious Basterds
10 Films of My Choice
Let the Right One In*
Brick*
Murder by Death*
His Girl Friday*
Perfect Blue*
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Jekyl*
500 Days of Summer*
High Fidelity
Dan, if you need to borrow Snatch, Domino, Porco Rosso or Pan's Labyrinth at any point, let me know, I've got all of those.
ReplyDeleteCool. I have Porco Rosso, but I'll probably need to borrow the other three. Similarly, Nick, if you need Das Boot or Perfect Blue, I have those, and Dave, I have Howl's Moving Castle.
ReplyDeleteI'm in for sure, but I haven't worked up a list yet. Likely, my list will be outside of all the rules except for the 10 movies I haven't seen before rule. They will also likely be movies that are free on Netflix.
ReplyDeleteOn a related note, I got a new big screen 1080p set for xmas that I plan to watch mah movin piktsures on, and once I get my old big screen fixed, I plan on making a stadium seating theatre in my man cave... yep, I'm braggin a bit ;P
Stuff I can lend out:
ReplyDeleteBrick
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Kill Bill Vol 2
Kill Bill Vol 1
Minority Report
No Country For Old Men
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Iron Man
Memento
Porco Rosso
Hard Boiled
Saw
Randy, you haven't seen O Brother, Where Art Thou? You're in for a treat.
ReplyDeleteSince there is no risk of death, I'm in.
ReplyDeleteI generally don't watch most movies more than once, so almost all of mine will be ones I haven't seen before... other than that, prolly won't be followin' no rules. 500 Days of Summer is sitting on my bar; I expect to kick things off tomorrow with that.
Also- Nick, how have you not seen Brick?!? Scandelous!
Rock on, Sara.
ReplyDeleteAnyone else?
Brick is free on netflix right now
ReplyDeleteJust to be a nitpicker- there are 31 days in January. :P
ReplyDelete>>Just to be a nitpicker- there are 31 days in January. :P
ReplyDeleteYeah, there was some discussion of that specific on the Bendis Board, but I didn't pay no attention 'cause I ain't no dirty nitpicker.
Just to be a nitpicker - nothing is free on netflix since you are paying for access each month.
ReplyDeleteFor the bonus 31st day- Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus requirement?
ReplyDeleteno, you can't make me watch MS cs Go again, I won't do it! One time is more than enough, and more than once probably violates the Geneva convention in some way.
ReplyDelete