Yes- it's based of a pic I took in Germany. And the walls are what I was working on yesterday. I started the painting last semester, but now need to go back & pick up the same oil paint feel; I was "drawing" more than "painting" last night. ;p Anyway- still has some stuff to do- esp. the girl & window box thing.
Anybody think it's all too much the same color? The photo is a bit more pink than the yellow I used, but the wall, her jacket and hair are just about the same hue ... !
How do you do textures anyway? Lay down some patterns and then play around with "smearing" them around to various degrees? Or making them more or less translucent? I've never done a ton with graphics programs.
As far as the color palette goes, I don't think the earth tone-y stuff dominates too much - the splashes of red and sienna seem to unify the whole thing pretty well and when I look at the thumbnail, it still "reads" as a good composition. But now that you mention it, the girl's jacket does blend in a bit with the wall.
>>>>How do you do textures anyway? Lay down some patterns and then play around with "smearing" them around to various degrees? Or making them more or less translucent? I've never done a ton with graphics programs.
You COULD use textures, but I don't like to. It seems like a cheap fix to me... I used lots of different brushes (this is Painter X not Photoshop so it comes with a lot more specific brush types than Photoshop), so it's mostly a wet or dry oil brush, plus a sponge & water blender. You can also change the PAPER on each layer, so the brush picks up the paper grain. AND I change the opacity for the brushes, too; sometimes the whole layer as well.
Oh, and the machine gun squad-- I just haven't gotten to them yet.
I dig it. Is that you from when you were in Germany?
ReplyDeleteDag, that's pretty cool. It seems like it's gotta be fun to play around with the textures when you're doing the digital art - the walls look great.
ReplyDeleteYes- it's based of a pic I took in Germany. And the walls are what I was working on yesterday. I started the painting last semester, but now need to go back & pick up the same oil paint feel; I was "drawing" more than "painting" last night. ;p Anyway- still has some stuff to do- esp. the girl & window box thing.
ReplyDeleteAnybody think it's all too much the same color? The photo is a bit more pink than the yellow I used, but the wall, her jacket and hair are just about the same hue ... !
How do you do textures anyway? Lay down some patterns and then play around with "smearing" them around to various degrees? Or making them more or less translucent? I've never done a ton with graphics programs.
ReplyDeleteAs far as the color palette goes, I don't think the earth tone-y stuff dominates too much - the splashes of red and sienna seem to unify the whole thing pretty well and when I look at the thumbnail, it still "reads" as a good composition. But now that you mention it, the girl's jacket does blend in a bit with the wall.
Hmm.
PURTY COLORS
ReplyDeleteThat's really cool Cindy! I think it looks nice, and I also like the splashes of red. Awesome!
ReplyDeleteI dig
ReplyDeleteIt is awesome. It would be more awesome if there was a German machine gun squad with an MG42 lurking in the window, though.
ReplyDelete>>>>How do you do textures anyway? Lay down some patterns and then play around with "smearing" them around to various degrees? Or making them more or less translucent? I've never done a ton with graphics programs.
ReplyDeleteYou COULD use textures, but I don't like to. It seems like a cheap fix to me... I used lots of different brushes (this is Painter X not Photoshop so it comes with a lot more specific brush types than Photoshop), so it's mostly a wet or dry oil brush, plus a sponge & water blender. You can also change the PAPER on each layer, so the brush picks up the paper grain. AND I change the opacity for the brushes, too; sometimes the whole layer as well.
Oh, and the machine gun squad-- I just haven't gotten to them yet.
Cindy, there is no "cheating" in art - it's all tools to achieve results!
ReplyDelete