Threw my quick reaction up in the comments. I was hoping to see what everybody else thought of the finale. Do not read comments before watching episode.
I just finished watching both parts of the 2 part season finale. I reiterate... Holy Fuck Nuts. The whole of the 2 parter was good, but the last 15 minutes or so of the 2nd part where "edge of my seat fuckin awesome" for me. It's a good thing these two episodes were so good because I was getting very close to being done with the show.
As soon as I heard the second line come whispering out, "said the joker to the thief" I was like WTF is All Along the Watchtower doing in Galactica!?! I'm sure dropping the cash for the Jimi or Dylan recording of the song would have been expensive (and maybe too recognisable during the tidbits earlier in the episodes), but the more modern version that they used was still very much one of the cooler music-choice-moments I've seen in TV.
I wasn't terribly surprised that Starbuck was back. I mean the biggest clue to the overall mystery of the series that has been given to us is that "there is a place between life and death" I'm still not sure whether she is alive or dead, but I never thought for a moment she was gone from the show.
Well,we've got 4 of the final 5 identified. A few of the choices surprised me, but none disappointed me. And it's about damn time we finally got back to the big questions presented in the miniseries and the first season. I just hope my enthusiasm for the direction of the show pans out in the next season. I mean the miniseries and the first season both had big cliffhangers that dealt with the core mysteries of the show only to have those issues all but ignored until now. The show does have a history of dropping the core story in favor of a more commercial episodic approach. If Galactica avoids doing so in the upcoming season, we could get a really good, well-paced closing to the series.
First time in a long time that I've actually pumped my fist in the air over a TV show.
OK, damn it, I admit it, you were right. She's not gone.
The producers actually did something fairly clever and basically lied to the audience during the commentary about Kara Thrace. Combined with the news that she's playing the Bionic Woman, it seemed quite plausible she was gone for good. Wonder if those Bionic Woman casting bits are BS as well... I'm guessing not, and that she'll have a recurring (rather than regular) role next season.
I'm still pretty wary... Galactica always does good teasers for their season (or mid-season) finales, but they have trouble staying the course and keeping it interesting. I'm also not entirely sure I buy into these revelations. It's pretty clear by now that the writers/producers make it up as they go along, and this really doesn't jibe with the mysterious "plan" the Cylons supposedly had early on.
But still... yeah, it was a good season finale. And my guess for the fifth Cylon? Either Romo Lamkin or Kara Thrace.
I just finished watching both parts of the 2 part season finale. I reiterate... Holy Fuck Nuts. The whole of the 2 parter was good, but the last 15 minutes or so of the 2nd part where "edge of my seat fuckin awesome" for me. It's a good thing these two episodes were so good because I was getting very close to being done with the show.
ReplyDeleteAs soon as I heard the second line come whispering out, "said the joker to the thief" I was like WTF is All Along the Watchtower doing in Galactica!?! I'm sure dropping the cash for the Jimi or Dylan recording of the song would have been expensive (and maybe too recognisable during the tidbits earlier in the episodes), but the more modern version that they used was still very much one of the cooler music-choice-moments I've seen in TV.
I wasn't terribly surprised that Starbuck was back. I mean the biggest clue to the overall mystery of the series that has been given to us is that "there is a place between life and death" I'm still not sure whether she is alive or dead, but I never thought for a moment she was gone from the show.
Well,we've got 4 of the final 5 identified. A few of the choices surprised me, but none disappointed me. And it's about damn time we finally got back to the big questions presented in the miniseries and the first season. I just hope my enthusiasm for the direction of the show pans out in the next season. I mean the miniseries and the first season both had big cliffhangers that dealt with the core mysteries of the show only to have those issues all but ignored until now. The show does have a history of dropping the core story in favor of a more commercial episodic approach. If Galactica avoids doing so in the upcoming season, we could get a really good, well-paced closing to the series.
First time in a long time that I've actually pumped my fist in the air over a TV show.
OK, damn it, I admit it, you were right. She's not gone.
ReplyDeleteThe producers actually did something fairly clever and basically lied to the audience during the commentary about Kara Thrace. Combined with the news that she's playing the Bionic Woman, it seemed quite plausible she was gone for good. Wonder if those Bionic Woman casting bits are BS as well... I'm guessing not, and that she'll have a recurring (rather than regular) role next season.
I'm still pretty wary... Galactica always does good teasers for their season (or mid-season) finales, but they have trouble staying the course and keeping it interesting. I'm also not entirely sure I buy into these revelations. It's pretty clear by now that the writers/producers make it up as they go along, and this really doesn't jibe with the mysterious "plan" the Cylons supposedly had early on.
But still... yeah, it was a good season finale. And my guess for the fifth Cylon? Either Romo Lamkin or Kara Thrace.