Comments

Time Out's 50 greatest animated films, with added commentary by Terry Gilliam

I originally misread this list as the Top 50 Greatest Animated Films of all Time selected by Terry Gilliam. It's actually a top 50 list that only features Terry Gilliam's comments on 5 or so of the films. It's still a really interesting look at the history of animated films, and its selections seem thoughtful and appropriate. Especially the film "Paprika," an anime that allegedly helped inspire Christopher Nolan's "Inception".

http://www.timeout.com/film/features/show-feature/8835/time-outs-50-greatest-animated-films-curated-by-terry-gilliam.html

7 comments:

  1. Interesting to know about Paprika. I've had it in my Netflix queue for forever and a day... maybe this will prompt me to actually watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara you should definitely watch Paprika, it is a great film. Perfect Blue which is also on the list is fantastic too. They are both on my top list.

    I love that so many Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki stuff made it on there and that Totoro is #1. Totoro is such a fantastic film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kid brother was totally hooked on Totoro when he was little. I must have watched it at least 700,000,000,000 times. It must be pretty great, because it rarely drove me *totally* nuts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! Girl-only posts! This totally killed my office boner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shouldn't all-girl posts encourage an office boner?

    Aaaaanyway...

    Tons of movies on this list I haven't seen. The big guns for me are Miyazaki's early movies (Lupin, Totoro, Kiki, Laputa, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa), though I never warmed to his later stuff, along with Watership Down, Secret of NIMH, and various and sundry Disney outings.

    It's a crime that Ferngully's on this list and Lupin: The Castle of Cagliostro isn't, but I'll let it slide 'cause they took a chance representing Bakshi's Lord of the Rings. It's flawed but still has lots to like.

    I watched Bambi last year and it surprised me with its quality. Glad to see its high placement. I've never seen Disney's Robin Hood, which they seem to think highly of, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perhaps his office boner was killed because *we wearing tit-kerchiefs*.

    I haven't seen Disney's Robin Hood in years, but it was one of my absolute favorites as a wee 'puss.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.