Comments

Post what movies ya seen! (WEEK 5)

Last week. Might get in one or two more, and I've got some late stuff to post about from last week...

11 comments:

  1. To Kill a Mockingbird
    It's easy to see why it's considered a classic and it's filled with memorable scenes, but it was more naive than I expected, maybe a little too simple. Atticus Finch is more ideal than man, which is why Gregory Peck would've made a great Superman. Still a moving experience, though, and the opening credits sequence is among the best I've ever seen (much credit to Elmer Berstein's central theme).

    3/5

    Pretty in Pink
    I think this is the one big John Hughes movie I'd never seen. Turns out it was probably okay to skip. It's more drama than comedy and Hughes was usually at his best when he did comedy with just touches of drama. Jon Cryer's loveable spaz character is just kind of annoying, it turns out. I still love Molly Ringwald, though. Quirky tidbit #1: noticed Gina Gershon as one of the stuck-up rich girls. Quirky tidbit #2: I realized that Eric Burke (of Dragon's Lair/Tribe Comics) has the same face as James Spader in this. It's true!

    2/5

    The Dark Knight
    Stunningly filmed movie that I don't altogether like. I'll just never be a big fan of "realistic Batman" and it really feels too dark to get any sense of triumph in the end. Plus, you know those boats would've blown each other to pieces :D Really well done for what it was, though. I found it very watchable even though it wasn't "my" Batman.

    3/5

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your Dark Knight review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a soft spot for Pretty in Pink because it's the first place I was exposed to Otis Redding's music, and because Annie Potts is kind of hot in it (and that's not a sentence you hear a lot.)

    But yeah, 2/5 is accurate or perhaps generous. And let's not forget Andrew "Dice" Clay in a cameo role!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iron Man 2 - Even better a third viewing. It feels like you're experiencing a comic book on the big screen. It has the interconnectivity of a universe, while at the same time putting forth a compelling character arc and swanky looking action. 5/5

    El Mariachi - Didn't hold up as well as I thought it would. It's an okay movie, but while I applaud that it was made with such a small budget...I actually like the hokey, big budget Antonio Banderas Desperado better. 2/5

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick, you got those ratings precisely backwards :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Breakfast Club 3.5/5 - yeah, that's right, The Breakfast Club. I've seen it about 10 times and never really liked it all that much, but I found myself extolling its cultural significance and value as well as insisting that it be viewed in the context of its era and intended audience rather than as "just another corny 80s movie" tonight and making somebody watch it with me.

    All my extolling seemed to convince myself more than my listener. With the "in context" caveat, I think I have to give it a 3.5/5... which freaks me out as I generally give it a 1.5/5

    Spoilers - but really, has anybody not seen this movie?

    It starts out kinda slow and boring. This might be an artistic choice since the leads find time dragging and are bored senseless at the start in detention. Intentional or not, I found myself checking the time and feeling bored. Not a reaction you want from your audience I think.

    The scene where everybody spills their soul after getting high together is honestly mind blowing and easily the strongest point of the film. Pacing, acting, camera work, music all come together in a perfect storm of tension and emotion.

    The make over of the "weird girl" and the confidence it gives her is a particularly sweet scene, but I have to say she looked waaaaay better before the make over. It was only a little distracting and didn't kill the scene for me though. Seriously, she started out exceptionally cute, quirky, and hot and ended up looking like a Sears flyer advert (from 84)... boring and less than notable.

    Viewing it in context didn't just cause me to be able to disregard my issues with 80's film making in general but went so far as to get me to actually feel a moment of triumph with the way cheesy freeze framed fist-pump at the end.

    ..damn, I wrote a freaking mini-review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Royal Tenenbaums 4/5 - Compelling cinematography, impressive acting, quirky to weird throughout and always full of heart. Despite the film's oddness, or maybe because of it, Anderson really connects with the viewer's heart in a subtle but powerful way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to see The Royal Tenenbaums one of these days. I think I'm one not really a guy who connects with Wes Anderson's stuff, but I've only seen Rushmore.

    3.5 sounds about right for Breakfast Club. I might go 4 - all films vary a bit in quality depending on one's mood at the time. I might suggest, though, that if you found it dragging early on it might've been because you wanted it to hurry up and be demonstrative for your guest. But if that film had gotten too emotional too fast I think it would've undercut the emotional release of the later scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caught my last film for the challenge a few days ago, [B]NORTH BY NORTHWEST[/B].

    The first and only previous time I'd watched it was one of those perfect film experiences. Saw it on the big screen, saw it with a really enthusiastic audience, and was generally blown away by its "everything but the kitchen sink" approach. Action, suspense, romance, witty banter...what more could you ask for? On this second viewing I still had a great time, but was saddened to discover a few chinks in its armor. I found the non-stop witticisms a touch repetitious and suspense-muting. Had a bit of a tough time with the insta-sparks between Grant and Eva Marie Saint, too. Still a great movie, but it dipped just slightly for me.

    I feel like I've let Hitch down :(

    4/5

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just for fun, here's my 20 films by the ratings I gave 'em.

    5 STARS
    The Wages of Fear
    Lone Star
    Thelma & Louise
    Schindler's List

    4 STARS
    Manhattan
    North by Northwest
    Broadcast News

    3 STARS
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Dark Knight
    Lilo & Stitch
    The Hangover
    The Constant Gardener
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

    2 STARS
    Pretty in Pink
    Payback
    Batman Returns
    Holes
    To Live & Die in LA

    1 STAR
    Constantine
    Funny Games

    ReplyDelete
  11. >> extolling its cultural significance and value as well as insisting that it be viewed in the context of its era and intended audience rather than as "just another corny 80s movie" tonight and making somebody watch it with me.


    Yeah, um, I dunno if you realise this, but you really like to do this with The Breakfast Club. 'Round abouts 11 years ago, I was made to watch it with you, after listening to you extol and rant about it. If I recollect correctly (and I'm certain I do), I spent the vast majority of the movie twiddling my mental thumbs, waiting and waiting and *waiting* for it to be over so I could get laid, lol. Even aside from the fact that I was a horny teenager, I found the movie seven sorts of tedious. 1/5.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.