Comments

Post what movies ya seen! (WEEK 3)

Not sure what all I'll be covering this week. Probably the Hangover, maybe Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, maybe some lesser stuff like Constantine that I just want to see to say I've seen it ;)

8 comments:

  1. Watched The Constant Gardener as one of the "view a film someone else viewed in a previous challenge" category. I don't know that I have a lot to say about this one. It's the first I've seen from the director, Fernando Meirelles, and I probably need to get around to his other notable flick, City of God, one of these days. Constant Gardener's a slow-burn suspense outing with a real-world backstory of pharmaceutical company abuses in the third world. It's really well done and even has Rachel Weisz nudity (she's real or fake-pregnant in it), but I never plugged into the love story with she and Ralph Fiennes, and that's a key thing for it. Amazing African scenery, though, and some memorable sequences.

    3/5

    ReplyDelete
  2. [snark]You may not have plugged into the Fiennes/Weisz love story because they're both kinda boring actors.[/snark]

    I know that was the problem I had with it. I liked this movie, but didn't love it as much as a lot of people seemed to.

    On the other end of the spectrum, I watched The Man With Two Brains. Really weird plot, really fun watching Steve Martin do his thing, and Kathleen Turner at her hottest doing the femme fatale thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the *exact* same reaction to The Constant Gardener. I even went and got the book and read it, because I wanted to like it so much. Turns out, it just wasn't very well adapted to screen. I would give the movie 2.5/ 5, the book 4/5.

    And I can no longer see Kathleen Turner as anyone besides the overeager Sue from Californication. lol

    Still no movies to report. :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know about the book. I liked the premise enough that I might have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watched Constantine. I know some people liked it alright on its own merits, but turns out I couldn't get past how it pooped on the comic. It had more CGI than the Mummy movies, for God's sake! And Rachel Weisz as the least believable cop ever! And Shia LaBeouf as Constantine's sidekick! And Constantine himself as an action hero...who gives up his smokes in the end!!

    I nearly died.

    One thing I got to thinking, though: the closest I've seen a movie get, tonally, to the actual Hellblazer comics, is Angel Heart. That's a really good movie.

    Constantine gets 1/5 though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was gonna loan you the book... but then I remembered I gave it to my dad and he never returned it. Which makes this comment completely useless. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  7. THE HANGOVER
    Pretty damn funny, and probably even funnier to watch with a group. I forgot there're two genres I usually have more fun watching with people - horror and comedies - so I'll probably revisit this one at some point.

    3/5

    ReplyDelete
  8. Latest is Funny Games, a somewhat avant garde horror Austrian flick (there's a shot-for-shot American remake, too). It's a domestic invasion scenario designed to challenge audience expectations and critique horror or some bullshit, but mainly it was an endurance test of misery. I think it'll be my first and last in the domestic invasion genre.

    1/5

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.