Comments

Post what movies ya seen! (WEEK 2)

I'm a little behind, but should end up catching something tonight. And at some point this week I break out the big guns:

SCHINDLER'S LIST!

20 comments:

  1. Watched The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard and loved it. Really funny, lots of great comedy actors in it (Ken Jeong, Tony Hale, Rob Riggle, Will Ferrell, Craig Robinson, David Koechner, etc., etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't on my list, but I was in the mood for some seamy crime the other day and watched To Live and Die in L.A. It was alright. Characters were quirky but felt flat, and I'm afraid the Wang Chung score sounds wussy even when it's trying for badass. Notable stuff includes: extended scenes of counterfeiting, Jane Leeves (from Frasier) as a lesbian prostitute, and a pretty memorable car chase.

    2/5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caught Daybreakers last night. It's an interesting premise (10 years after a vampire breakout, the world is mostly vampires, and they're hunting the remaining humans while trying to come up with a blood substitute since the human population is depopulated) and a mediocre movie. There are some interesting ideas, a couple decent action scenes, and, clearly, they had a very enthusiastic FX team that *loved* gore and blood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happened to watch movies this weekend!! ;)
    Only one I hadn't seen before- Oceans 11. I'm sure y'all have all seen it :p and I really liked it. I watched it in my sweet minivan (it's a loaner) on the way back from Fredericksburg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yeah.
    I turned on 28 Weeks Later. Partly for noise & also I knew Lana hadn't seen it. I may have fallen asleep some while it was on... but I think it wad better the first time I saw it. Not bad on its own, as a zombie movie, but not really a great follow up when compared to 28 Days Later.

    THEN I saw the last half of The Skeleton Key. I've seen it before and I guessing this is one that most didn't catch - but you should. I didn't expect much when I first saw it, but it was surprisingly good! Kate Hudson, New Orleans and crazy creepy voodoo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just finished watching Holes. What a completely bizarre movie. I wish I could say it connected with me, but it was more like a kid's version of one of those Grant Morrison stories that just make me go, "huh?" Seems like a lot of meanness for most of the movie without many likeable characters or upbeat scenes to balance it out. Where the Wild Things Are seems commercial by comparison, and the destiny stuff felt cheap.

    On the plus side, Shia was good in the lead and the soundtrack was pretty wildly eclectic for Disney (Eels and Keb Mo?). Maybe it'll grow on me.

    2/5

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watched Black Dynamite, the '70s exploitation parody starring Michael Jai White, last night. Had moderate expectations, as lots of folks had said it was great, but I've seen way too many weak parodies in this genre to get my hopes up.

    But it was great. Really funny, perfectly apes the '70s exploitation style and doesn't just go for the easy jokes. 4.5/5

    ReplyDelete
  8. "My momma said my daddy's name was Black Dynamite."

    "So did my momma!"

    "Err, uhh, hush up little girls. A lot of cats have that name."

    ReplyDelete
  9. "First Lady, I'm sorry I pimp-slapped you into that china cabinet."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tonight I watched Sunshine Cleaning, which is about two sisters who start up a crime scene cleaning business. It's one of those quirky indie melodrama things, which I usually am not into... but it's pretty decent. If you like that kinda thing. Or Amy Adams. Who is cute. 3/5

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought Sunshine Cleaning was okay, but I remember going to see it thinking it was going to be funny, for some reason, and it isn't a comedy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Watched Bronson this week. (Doing more of 8 or 9 movies in 30 days ;) )

    Yeah, so I finally got around to watching Bronson. 1/5 stars. What a steaming pile of derivative trash. 90 minutes felt like an eternity... an eternity that goes nowhere and says nothing while doing its damn best to be a "New Clockwork Orange"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for taking the bullet on Bronson, D3. By total coincidence I dropped Bronson from my list a few days back after having randomly watched (and replaced Bronson with) To Live & Die in L.A.

    I was kinda disappointed by To Live and Die, but it was still interesting throughout and had a few notable bits.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well there were two or three entertaining scenes, but it wasn't nearly enough to make up for the whole. There was plenty of people saying "cunt" and lots of on screen penis though, if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, it only took me nearly 20 years to get around to Schindler's List. Missed it during the initial flurry and could never quite convince myself, "Yeah, THIS is the week for it!"

    But it turns out this was the week for it. And it was as good as everyone said. Spieberg's a consummate storyteller, and even at three hours Schindler's List is never less than enthralling. It's all been said, and the only thing I might add is that I can't recall ever seeing a black-and-white film with such stunning cinematography.

    In the back of my head, there're a few criticisms floating around - broader issues like, "Is it right to lens a Holocaust story through a Nazi?" - but going with my gut reaction...

    5/5

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am absolutely horrified that Schindler's List came out anything akin to 20 yrs ago... this makes me feel *incredibly* old.


    Also, I have not watched a single movie yet. Apparently my initial estimate of a "couple- few" was grossly overshooting it, lol. I do have Sherlock Holmes sitting on the counter... mebbe I'll get to it before this whole shenanigan is over... mebbe not...

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you fail Secret Movie Club, you'll never work in this town again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This reminds me, I need to watch Sherlock Holmes again soon. Really liked that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yep, it's lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two more down:

    MANHATTAN
    Like Schindler's List, this one was one of my black-and-white movies. I passed up a lot of Woody Allen stuff as a kid because my parents - who'd lived in New York - were so into him. I didn't want to watch the same shit my parents did! Stupid me. Allen's great, so's Manhattan. I picked this one because I saw it making a lot of lists of best contemporary black and white movies, and it didn't disappoint. Beautiful, beautiful images of Manhattan, inspired accompaniment from Gershwin. The movie itself is a really watchably meandering balance between humor and drama following a trio of confused modern philanders (and yes, it's a little creepy to see one of then-42-years-old Allen's love interests is a 17-year-old girl), but I think my favorite scene is the opening. There're all these amazing shots of Manhattan as Allen begins his narration of life in the city multiple times, backpedaling on each one and trying out different versions - sentimental, tough, etc. It gets his neurotic humor up and running immediately and, of course, the understanding is that Manhattan is all of the above.

    4/5 because the ending didn't quite come together for me.

    THELMA & LOUISE
    This one's for my "revisit an old favorite" category. It's weird, it seems I never hear people talking about this movie anymore. Are they afraid of it because it might be a feminist story? Did people just not like it? Or did it become too iconic, too overanalyzed, too fast to hang onto our attention? Anyway, fuck it, I love it. It's obviously a road trip movie, and Davis and Sarandon are amazing every step of the way, but this time I was almost thinking of it as a southwestern neo-noir. One random incident early on essentially damns the two leads, and try as they might, they can't escape the wide net it casts. Very noir, even if it's more visually interested in dusty plains than shadowed streets. I think it's Ridley Scott's best movie after Blade Runner and Alien.

    5/5

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.