Nobody seems to know quite what this is yet, but it looks like a SE7EN-style overhaul of Mortal Kombat - either the set-up for a new game franchise or a teaser for an upcoming movie. Either way, it's surprisingly twisted and gory and it's got one really well-staged fight.
I hope to God this is real, because I want to see it so bad right now.
ReplyDeleteI'm jonesed, too. I have a lot of fondness for the chop socky fantasy of the classic Mortal Kombat mythology and movie, but this is a pretty sick Elseworlds take on it. Definitely the "Dark Knight" treatment.
ReplyDeleteThe online community searches for answers and maybe finds some...
ReplyDeleteUpdate: CHUD says the footage is definitely related to a new film, and that the choreography “comes from the mind of genius fight choreographer Larnell Stovall. He’s the guy who did the fights for the excellent Undisputed 3: Redemption, on DVD and Blu-Ray right now.” Latino Review and other sources say that Kevin Tancharoen directed.
And from elsewhere:
Twitch reports that the video, directed by Kevin Tancharoen (Fame, of all things), is a promo reel for the upcoming feature film.
I looked up Tancharoen at Wikipedia (which already credits him for the Mortal Kombat short) and he's mostly a nobody "...best known for being a choreographer for Madonna, directing Britney Spears' 'The Onyx Hotel Tour', and co-creating DanceLife on MTV." And yes, he did the poorly-received Fame remake.
Weird call, but maybe he's one of these guys looking to reinvent himself.
The lighting, angles, and color tones in that fight scene were beautiful. I have no inherent fondness of MK, but I don't dislike the property. Based on the prettyness of what I saw in that fight, I'm tentatively down.
ReplyDeleteI was liking the clarity of the fight's action and the fact that it wasn't overly choreographed. A lot of martial arts fights in movies look too practiced and slick. This had a little slickness, no doubt, but also a sense that these two guys just wanted to kill each other.
ReplyDeleteThe fight reminded me of the fights from the Bourne movies, and that is definitely a good thing.
ReplyDeleteMore on "what the hell was that?" from Hit Fix:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/what-is-that-mysterious-mortal-kombat-video
It looks like it might be a test reel to try and convince Warners to hire them for a Mortal Kombat movie. Maybe? Nobody really knows at this point.
But Nick was right, it's for a movie, not a videogame.