THIS is a pretty interesting, and newish (only about 7 eps out so far) anime series i just started watching. It's about a down-on-his-luck ronin that has some kind of social anxiety or panic disorder that gets involved with a gang of professional kidnappers in feudal Japan.
Beautiful animation, interesting themes and characters...pretty much a straight drama, really. Kind of light on action, but i think they are going for a more contemplative mood. the show also eschews a lot of anime tropes i can find annoying. it's totally grounded in realism: there's no incomprehensible esoteric idea behind the plot, and characters don't turn into more cartoony versions of themselves when they get mad or embarassed. it DOES have an awful j-pop theme song,but you can skip that part.
anyways - it is a little slow starting out but after viewing 7 eps i am pretty well hooked. i recommend you check it out!
Hmm. I read the first volume of the manga and wasn't wowed by it; I'll have to give the anime a shot.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds much more interesting to me than the usual samurai anime. I watched just a few minutes to get the tenor and check out the animation style and it looks cool enough that I'll follow up next week. Sometimes I like "contemplative."
ReplyDelete