Comments

this is kinda creepy.

4 comments:

  1. I agree, I don't think we'll ever be totally rid of centralised computing and storage in favor of the decentralised cloud, and I think you're right about the economic and psychological reasons why.

    I think you are, however, underestimating a bit. rather than the cloud becoming "great for backup" I think it will be the primary, and our own personal storage and computing will be the backup.

    In 10 years, we'll be seeing the first generation that can't even really imagine a world before the internet entering the job market and adulthood, and I suspect they'll be FAR more likely to trust the cloud than virtually everybody you and I know. They'll still want local backups of some data, but the idea of the internet being less trustworthy than data in your own computer will be a foreign concept to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that in two years we'll all be using Speak and Spells for all our computer needs.

    And I believe if you don't believe that, you are a dumb dumb head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't want facebook in my shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i guess my main fear about these ideas is that the more control of our info that we relinquish, and the more of it that is in the "machine", the easier it can be manipulated or exploited by scammers, govt., corporations, etc. that's the realistic fear.

    the thing that REALLY creeps me out though, is that maybe, just maybe, this One Machine is a sentient organism, that is using humans to evolve and will soon make us all its slavish pawns - even moreso than we are now. that last thing, kind of a poem almost, that he said, really had religious/cultish overtones that i could not ignore.

    hold on...some men in black suits just came in. their skin is...silvery. wait! who are you?!? what do you waAAAHHHH!!!!

    ...

    ...

    all is well.

    i welcome the coming of the One Machine.

    we are the web.

    resistance is futile.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.