Number Three: The Sun

While it is outclassed by the remainder of the list at a with a tepid surface of temperature of just 5900° C, I include it here because of its personal significance. In fact, it's quite likely that without it, I would never have been born!
Number Two: HD 93129A

When it comes to astronomical phenomena, now we're getting somewhere. At 52,000° C on its surface, HD 93129A is one of the brightest stars in our galaxy, and positively balmy. HD 93129A isn't for those who prefer their hotties pint-sized, however, as most of you seem to do; its radius is 25 times that of our sun. (Personally, I think it's long past time for the trend towards skeletal, boyish hotties to be taken out back and shot.)
Number One: The Large Hadron Collider

Spanning the French-Swiss border, 100 meters underground, lurks a 27 km long beast capable of melting protons. Firing ions at 99.99% the speed of light, the Large Hadron Collider will produce 600 million collisions per second, each at a temperature (well, energy) of 166,306,000,000,000,000 °C. Incidentally, this is how the world ends: the Swiss accidentally make a black hole and crack the Earth in half.
I'd like to see Angelina Jolie try that.
I think Nick's contender, Alison Lohman, might crossover onto your list, Ben. She was in the Sam Raimi movie Drag Me To Hell, and Hell's like, super-hot and stuff.
ReplyDeleteI will confess I always thought the sun was pretty smokin'. Spend too much time fantasizing about that one, though, and you'll go blind.
I am uncomfortable at just the idea of having sex with the large hadron collider
ReplyDeleteNerd Alert! Nerd Alert! Nerd Alert!
ReplyDeletescience ftw!
ReplyDelete