Quentin Tarantino lists his 20 favorite movies that've come out since 1992, when he began directing:
He only comments on a few, but the comments are pretty interesting. If you just want to cut to the chase, though, here's da list:
Battle Royale
Anything Else
Audition
The Blade
Boogie Nights
Dazed & Confused
Dogville
Fight Club
Fridays
The Host
The Insider
Joint Security Area
Lost In Translation
The Matrix
Memories of Murder
Police Story 3
Shaun of the Dead
Speed
Team America
Unbreakable
Speed? Really? I mean, I don't hate it or anything, but Top 20? Really?
ReplyDeleteReally need to check out Lars Von Triers' work, I think... I've heard a lot of recommendations for it.
It seems like an odd call, but you know Tarantino - he loves movies that take a wild idea and play 'em to the hilt.
ReplyDeleteI was kinda hoping it would be something ridiculous, like all Will Ferrell movies.
ReplyDeleteI disagree with soooo many of those, but most of them, I can at least understand why he chose them. Except for Speed.
ReplyDeleteI kinda wonder if he was getting near the end of his list and just had trouble thinking of something.
ReplyDeleteUm... Hmm... Fuck it. Speed.
Or, y'know, somebody told him he couldn't put Pulp Fiction on the list, and he had to scramble. :-)
Hmmmm, I am confused by several of these. There is so much good stuff that came out in the past 17 years, movies that were innovative and inspired, that Speed (and Boogie Nights and Team America in my opinion) should never have made it.
ReplyDeleteIt seems like QT was just half-assing this one. Underscored by the fact that he rarely explains his choices.
re: Speed - i think he's referring to the substance and not the film.
ReplyDelete>>I kinda wonder if he was getting near the end of his list and just had trouble thinking of something.
ReplyDelete:D
I think the thing to remember here is that it's a list of his 20 "favorites," and favorites aren't always the ones you think were the best. They're just the ones you like the most or return to the most. Quentin being a dedicated genre guy, I pretty much buy this list coming from him.
Oh, and I looked over some movie lists and made up my own top 20 post-'92 films. Again: favorites, not necessarily the best.
ReplyDeleteGlengarry Glen Ross
Pulp Fiction
El Mariachi
Ed Wood
The Professional
Heat
The Usual Suspects
The Secret of Roan Inish
Fargo
Contact
The Game
The Matrix
The Sixth Sense
Galaxy Quest
Kung Fu Hustle
The Blair Witch Project
Chicago
28 Days Later
Reservoir Dogs
No Country For Old Men
My favorite 20 films made since 92-ish (I'm not referencing my dates) off the cuff in under 5 minutes in no particular order except to pick a #1.
ReplyDelete#1 - Unbreakable
28 Days Later
Reservoir Dogs
Unforgiven
Pulp Fiction
Children of Men
Basketball Diaries
Dazed & Confused
Austin Powers 1
The Matrix
Million Dollar Baby
Fight Club
12 Monkeys
Brick
LA Confidential
Slumdog Millionaire
Natural Born Killers
Seven
Casino
Léon (European Release of The Professional)
In no particular order...
ReplyDeleteLet the Right One In
Seven
No Country for Old Men
Blair Witch Project
Audition
Ringu
Dawn of the Dead
Rent
The Descent
The Departed
Children of Men
The Orphanage
E tu Mama Tambien
Pulp Fiction
Swingers
American Pie 2 (I know... I know)
Seven
Dazed and Confused
Shaun of the Dead
Jurassic Park
I like these lists because they remind me of stuff I need to see - Y Tu Mama Tambien, Swingers, and Basketball Diaries, among others.
ReplyDeleteAlso: Nate REALLY like Seven!
Audition sucks. Fickle Cindy stopped reading Quentin's list after that...
ReplyDeleteIt's on Nate's list, too, Cindy! IMPLOSION!!
ReplyDeleteActually, Audition is one of those movies I want to see just to see. I already know a bit about it, including the fact that it's held in high regard by a lot of horror fans. I also know that my brother - whose tastes usually align with mine - didn't think much of it.
But I gotta know, same as I did with Saw and Hostel. And I feel like I should see at least one Takashi Miike film. Maybe come my October Halloween movie spree...