I'd have cut the Lost music, but otherwise, wow, pretty damn impressive. Is it tied into Half-Life somehow? It had bits and pieces that seemed directly from Half-Life 2, and a few weeks back I saw a similar short film that was more explicitly set in that world (it had the fascist-type armored cops), but this looks more polished.
My money's on "well-made fan film" - just put together by someone with some great resources. Those video game companies make bundles, and I just don't see them needing to use canned music from another property. They'd just hire the Lost guy to do some original music!
In fact, I think he has done video game music.
ALTHOUGH...although...
It could be a real promo film from Valve that just got leaked - and then someone who got hold of it spliced in the music. But then Valve probably would've had it taken down, right?
I will get to the bottom of this mystery. I will find out what is in the box.
I think it's something more like... it's SUPPOSED to look fan but it's official?? Those animation & 3D effects added in... that'd take crazy amounts of time for people sitting around in their garage to do.
Not that there aren't nerds nerdy enough to do it, but it'd take a long time.
The words "Demo film 2009" in the lower left corner leads me to believe it's an aspiring effects artist's demo reel. A lot of those pop up on Youtube and the like.
I'd have cut the Lost music, but otherwise, wow, pretty damn impressive. Is it tied into Half-Life somehow? It had bits and pieces that seemed directly from Half-Life 2, and a few weeks back I saw a similar short film that was more explicitly set in that world (it had the fascist-type armored cops), but this looks more polished.
ReplyDeleteSome people think its Half Life Ep 3 promo. The Valve guys are apparently friends with the Lost guys, hence the music.
ReplyDeleteAlso, too well done to be a fan film... most likely.
My money's on "well-made fan film" - just put together by someone with some great resources. Those video game companies make bundles, and I just don't see them needing to use canned music from another property. They'd just hire the Lost guy to do some original music!
ReplyDeleteIn fact, I think he has done video game music.
ALTHOUGH...although...
It could be a real promo film from Valve that just got leaked - and then someone who got hold of it spliced in the music. But then Valve probably would've had it taken down, right?
I will get to the bottom of this mystery. I will find out what is in the box.
I think it's something more like... it's SUPPOSED to look fan but it's official?? Those animation & 3D effects added in... that'd take crazy amounts of time for people sitting around in their garage to do.
ReplyDeleteNot that there aren't nerds nerdy enough to do it, but it'd take a long time.
The words "Demo film 2009" in the lower left corner leads me to believe it's an aspiring effects artist's demo reel. A lot of those pop up on Youtube and the like.
ReplyDelete