I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm hoping--hoping,hoping,hoping--that Tarantino actually wants to tell a story this time out and not brag about his knowledge of obscure genre movies. His fan-wank (a lot of it wanking over his own dialogue) made Kill Bill and Death Proof unwatchable for me.
I don't think we're gonna get a fistful of geek references in the middle of a World War II movie (or at least I really hope not; who knows, there might be riffs on The Dirty Dozen and The Great Escape and shit), but we could get Tarantino getting caught up in his own dialogue.
I'll probably go ahead and read the full script in the next week or two. I'll shout if it looks notably bad or notably good.
I think Nate's right - more fan-wanking. Some of the stuff he's said already indicates that - like using rap music and making it more of a spaghetti western.
I'll admit that he's been going downhill since Pulp Fiction, but I've pretty much found everything he's done watchable and entertaining in parts. As part of Grindhouse (which is available in its original format on Netflix Watch Now, btw) Death Proof worked pretty well, and Kill Bill was self-indulgent, but had a ton of fun parts.
I guess what I'm saying is that you're all a bunch of hatin' basterds. Except Dave. Who is an Indigo Lantern. (Is that like an Indigo Girl?)
I wouldn't say that Tarantino films these days are any less self indulgent than Bendis comics. I suppose one just rubs me a bit more wrong than the other. I'm still interested in the movie.
Don't get me wrong. I'm interested in the flick, as well. If nothing else, I wanna see a Nazi get cracked with a baseball bat. I'm just trying to keep my expectations on the small side.
This looks really silly. But I still want to see it.
ReplyDeleteThe original was a lot of fun.
ReplyDeleteThis... is not that movie.
I am totally in.
ReplyDeleteAs I understand it, this isn't a remake so much as an "inspired by" thing. I wouldn't expect it to have much resemblance to the Italian original.
Especially given that the Italian original was 99 minutes long and this was a 3 minute trailer. ;)
Yeah, I really liked the trailer but don't know anything about the original.
ReplyDeleteAs an aside, if anyone wants to read the script, someone bounced it my way a few months backs.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm hoping--hoping,hoping,hoping--that Tarantino actually wants to tell a story this time out and not brag about his knowledge of obscure genre movies. His fan-wank (a lot of it wanking over his own dialogue) made Kill Bill and Death Proof unwatchable for me.
ReplyDeleteI don't think we're gonna get a fistful of geek references in the middle of a World War II movie (or at least I really hope not; who knows, there might be riffs on The Dirty Dozen and The Great Escape and shit), but we could get Tarantino getting caught up in his own dialogue.
ReplyDeleteI'll probably go ahead and read the full script in the next week or two. I'll shout if it looks notably bad or notably good.
I think Nate's right - more fan-wanking. Some of the stuff he's said already indicates that - like using rap music and making it more of a spaghetti western.
ReplyDeleteI'm weirded out by all the Tarantino-hatin'
ReplyDeleteI'll admit that he's been going downhill since Pulp Fiction, but I've pretty much found everything he's done watchable and entertaining in parts. As part of Grindhouse (which is available in its original format on Netflix Watch Now, btw) Death Proof worked pretty well, and Kill Bill was self-indulgent, but had a ton of fun parts.
I guess what I'm saying is that you're all a bunch of hatin' basterds. Except Dave. Who is an Indigo Lantern. (Is that like an Indigo Girl?)
I think self indulgent just comes as part of the Tarantino-bundle. Either you can deal with it, or you can't.
ReplyDeleteI can, and I'm very interested in this movie.
Well, there's self-indulgent...
ReplyDelete...and then there's a live action Bendis comic. :-)
I wouldn't say that Tarantino films these days are any less self indulgent than Bendis comics. I suppose one just rubs me a bit more wrong than the other. I'm still interested in the movie.
ReplyDeleteDon't get me wrong. I'm interested in the flick, as well. If nothing else, I wanna see a Nazi get cracked with a baseball bat. I'm just trying to keep my expectations on the small side.
ReplyDeleteI can settle this: Pulp Fiction was a Tarantino fluke in that it was good...
ReplyDelete"I can settle this: Pulp Fiction was a Tarantino fluke in that it was good..."
ReplyDeletehttp://i44.tinypic.com/x1alq9.jpg