I mentioned this to one or two of you the other day, but I was listening to a podcast devoted exclusively to The White Album and learned something interesting: I knew Clapton was a contemporary of the Beatles and that Layla was about his unrequited love for George Harrison's wife...but I didn't know he actually played the guitar solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."
But he did.
Is that common knowledge? It was new to me.
And apparently Clapton wasn't at all sure about doing it, since the Beatles weren't known for guest-stars on their albums, but he did do it. The problem was that it sounded great but it didn't sound "Beatley" enough, so they warped it up a bit in the studio and that's the version we know. Crazy, huh?
I think the podcast guy said there're no master recordings where you can hear Clapton's untampered-with original, but now that I know, I can certainly tell it was him on the studio version. It might be distorted, but it's definitely Clapton.
a) this video makes me want to have sex with prince. most unusual.
b) where did his guitar go at the end? i watched the last few seconds 4 times and it appears to magically vanish into thin air after he throws it. if no one can offer forth a more reasonable explanation, i think i will just continue to believe prince's sparkly pegacorn that he uses for everyday transit caught it and tucked it safely into his saddlebags.
c) to think you (d3) didn't even like prince *or* while my guitar gently weeps for at least the first 6 or 7 years we were together. for shame, sir, for shame.
I have to admit, "While My Guitar..." was always low on the totem pole in my pantheon of fave Beatles songs, too...until I first stumbled across this tribute vid. Such is the power of Prince and his sexy-geetar.
Now I'm all about the song - the tribute, the original, all versions. But I've listened to the tribute version most obsessively. I think to've seen it live would've been a religious experience.
I mentioned this to one or two of you the other day, but I was listening to a podcast devoted exclusively to The White Album and learned something interesting: I knew Clapton was a contemporary of the Beatles and that Layla was about his unrequited love for George Harrison's wife...but I didn't know he actually played the guitar solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."
ReplyDeleteBut he did.
Is that common knowledge? It was new to me.
And apparently Clapton wasn't at all sure about doing it, since the Beatles weren't known for guest-stars on their albums, but he did do it. The problem was that it sounded great but it didn't sound "Beatley" enough, so they warped it up a bit in the studio and that's the version we know. Crazy, huh?
I think the podcast guy said there're no master recordings where you can hear Clapton's untampered-with original, but now that I know, I can certainly tell it was him on the studio version. It might be distorted, but it's definitely Clapton.
News to me
ReplyDeleteI had no idea Prince could play like that. Most impressive.
ReplyDeletea) this video makes me want to have sex with prince. most unusual.
ReplyDeleteb) where did his guitar go at the end? i watched the last few seconds 4 times and it appears to magically vanish into thin air after he throws it. if no one can offer forth a more reasonable explanation, i think i will just continue to believe prince's sparkly pegacorn that he uses for everyday transit caught it and tucked it safely into his saddlebags.
c) to think you (d3) didn't even like prince *or* while my guitar gently weeps for at least the first 6 or 7 years we were together. for shame, sir, for shame.
I have to admit, "While My Guitar..." was always low on the totem pole in my pantheon of fave Beatles songs, too...until I first stumbled across this tribute vid. Such is the power of Prince and his sexy-geetar.
ReplyDeleteNow I'm all about the song - the tribute, the original, all versions. But I've listened to the tribute version most obsessively. I think to've seen it live would've been a religious experience.
I had know Clapton did the solo, did not know they'd warpified it.
ReplyDeletewho is the first soloist there? Is that David Gilmore?
And Sara, you are correct about the pegacorn.
Psh. Forget about Prince; who's that bad-ass with the TAMBOURINE baby
ReplyDeleteThat was Jeff Lynne's hair.
ReplyDelete