Just took a baseball history class this summer, actually. This isn't surprising at all. What is surprising is that the myth of the Coopertown invention of baseball isn't more widely debunked. That was a publicity stunt done by Spalding and others in the 20's.
The origins of the American game came in the late 18th century in New York City. I've got a paper I wrote about it around here somewhere if anyone is really that interested.
I recommend HIS365G, Baseball and American Culture, Dr. Lesch, University Extension -- if you can get in. It's always full every summer.
Just took a baseball history class this summer, actually. This isn't surprising at all. What is surprising is that the myth of the Coopertown invention of baseball isn't more widely debunked. That was a publicity stunt done by Spalding and others in the 20's.
ReplyDeleteThe origins of the American game came in the late 18th century in New York City. I've got a paper I wrote about it around here somewhere if anyone is really that interested.
I recommend HIS365G, Baseball and American Culture, Dr. Lesch, University Extension -- if you can get in. It's always full every summer.