The other day I read how the director of Wanted was going to make a new film version of Moby Dick with a "graphic novel" flourish to it. Ahab's supposed to go from brooding to being a "charismatic leader" and the scripter notes, "This is an opportunity to take a timeless classic and capitalize on the advances in visual effects to tell what at its core is an action-adventure revenge story."(o_0)
Scary enough in and of itself, but it did lead me to decide to finally make a point to read the damn book. I'm enjoying the hell out of it, and I even found a passage that fits the Halloween Blogstravaganza. The context is that Ishmael has just awakened in bed to find the tattooed arm of his sleeping bunkmate, the South Seas cannibal, Queequeg, draped over him. He freezes up, deathly afraid of cannibal-man. Then he has a sudden remembrance from childhood...
(NOTE: 'counterpane' = 'bedspread' in Melville's archaic language)
My sensations were strange. Let me try to explain them. When I was a child, I well remember a somewhat similar circumstance that befell me; whether it was a reality or a dream, I never could entirely settle. The circumstance was this. I had been cutting up some caper or other--I think it was trying to crawl up the chimney, as I had seen a little sweep do a few days previous; and my stepmother who, somehow or other, was all the time whipping me, or sending me to bed supperless,--my mother dragged me by the legs out of the chimney and packed me off to bed, though it was only two o'clock in the afternoon of the 21st June, the longest day in the year in our hemisphere. I felt dreadfully. But there was no help for it, so up stairs I went to my little room in the third floor, undressed myself as slowly as possible so as to kill time, and with a bitter sigh got between the sheets.
I lay there dismally calculating that sixteen entire hours must elapse before I could hope for a resurrection. Sixteen hours in bed! the small of my back ached to think of it. And it was so light too; the sun shining in at the window, and a great rattling of coaches in the streets, and the sound of gay voices all over the house. I felt worse and worse--at last I got up, dressed, and softly going down in my stockinged feet, sought out my stepmother, and suddenly threw myself at her feet, beseeching her as a particular favour to give me a good slippering for my misbehaviour; anything indeed but condemning me to lie abed such an unendurable length of time. But she was the best and most conscientious of stepmothers, and back I had to go to my room. For several hours I lay there broad awake, feeling a great deal worse than I have ever done since, even from the greatest subsequent misfortunes.
At last I must have fallen into a troubled nightmare of a doze; and slowly waking from it--half steeped in dreams--I opened my eyes, and the before sun-lit room was now wrapped in outer darkness. Instantly I felt a shock running through all my frame; nothing was to be seen, and nothing was to be heard; but a supernatural hand seemed placed in mine. My arm hung over the counterpane, and the nameless, unimaginable, silent form or phantom, to which the hand belonged, seemed closely seated by my bed-side. For what seemed ages piled on ages, I lay there, frozen with the most awful fears, not daring to drag away my hand; yet ever thinking that if I could but stir it one single inch, the horrid spell would be broken. I knew not how this consciousness at last glided away from me; but waking in the morning, I shudderingly remembered it all, and for days and weeks and months afterwards I lost myself in confounding attempts to explain the mystery.
Nay, to this very hour, I often puzzle myself with it.
Sounds like a classic paralysis nightmare. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis I've had them myself - decidedly unpleasant affairs - more often than not when taking a daytime nap. Fascinating phenomena, though.
ReplyDeleteI confess i haven't read Moby Dick since high school, a time when my attention span wasn't really up to the task. I really should give it another go. Can I borrow yours when you're done?
My friends at the Fiction Circus are rather up in arms about the movie, which will no doubt be a bloody, sickening abomination. They've uncharacteristically restrained their opining, however, in favor of posting a short bio piece about Melville:
http://fictioncircus.com/news.php?id=229&mode=one
I've read a bit about sleep paralysis in mah skeptic magazines, usually in conjunction with hypnagogic hallucinations. The phenomena definitely seems to be tied to accounts of demonic visitations and, as per the iconigraphy 20th century, alien visitations. Whatever the source, I'm wildly glad I've never experienced it. Sounds awful.
ReplyDeleteAnd my guess is that Melville was almost certainly relating his own personal anecdote through Ishmael. The sequence sounds too personal to just be based on accounts he'd read about. That's what intrigued me.
I'll bounce it your way when I'm done, Chris. I'm finding it surprisingly readable, but you might want to see about easing into it the way I did: free daily emails of a few pages through dailylit.com. Sort of an "icebreaker" for books, though I found myself enjoying it enough that a few chapters in I just cut to a hard copy.
Oh, and for a less dignified response to X-Treme Moby Dick, jump exactly two minutes into this video blog of Hollywood news as delivered by a big-breasted hottie:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4C6YH2Xn1I
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteFortunately the SP hasn't happened to me very often. It's easy to get kind of panicky while it's going on.
ReplyDeleteThe first time it happened when I was a teenager. I dreamed I woke up in bed and could not move. I freaked out, screamed and awoke in bed, but could not move. Freaked out, screamed, awoke, could not move. Freaked out, screamed, awoke, couldn't move - etc., etc., a couple dozen times, more quickly each time, before I REALLY woke up, in a cold freaking sweat.
Only ever once, and that was earlier this year actually, did I ever have an "encounter". A couple times before I'd had a vague sense that someone/thing* was coming to "get me", but this time I "saw" it.
It all started normally: I became conscious of lying in bed, unable to move. I think my eyes were open and I could sort of look around my room. Having been through this before, I instinctively understood what was going on and, somewhat irritatedly, determined to wait it out, knowing it would eventually pass.
Then I heard a noise. Muffled footsteps down the hall, slowly, painfully, coming closer. I glanced at my bedroom door - it was open! The plodding, heavy footsteps, louder, closer. I looked away then back at the door. An indistinct shadow filled the frame. Shit! I looked away again and tried to shut my eyes, but I could still hear the steps, now in my room! and now accompanied by a deep rumbling hum.
Something, some perversity, some lunacy, made me look back again. There, standing (or hovering?) to the left of my bed, not three feet away, glowering down at me, was a tall, wraith-like, humanoid form, made all of black shadow, and where the face should be, a darkness blacker still! Malevolence oozed from it and I knew it did not mean me well.
After that I don't remember anything, but eventually woke up. I think I checked my door, which if I recall correctly, was in fact closed. I'm sure that I was definitely influenced by my readings on the subject, which, insofar as that knowledge was there in the back of my mind the whole time, sort of mitigated the terror. Though the experience was still disturbing, it was also kind of neat, in the sense that I've now had a really classic SP experience.
Up to then the fear was more of the "fuck I can't move!" variety, and that sense of suffocation (b/c you can't feel your body breathing, even though it is). I'm not really worried about it happening again, and hope that if it does, I can maintain the presence of mind not to bug out, which just makes it worse.
Some stuff I was reading correlated SP to a melatonin deficiency, which kind of jibes with my experience: Melatonin production is inhibited by light, and this has most often happened to me when I napped in the daytime.
The brain is an amazing thing!
* usually negroes.
Thanks for posting that, Chris. I think I made an open call for folks to post eerie stories from personal experiences last year and didn't get any takers, but your story qualifies like a mofo.
ReplyDeleteThe semi-awareness you have is interesting too. It reminds me of what my brother described from a case of lucid dreaming many years ago - being simultaneously immersed enough in the dream for dream logic to work, yet aware enough to find it both amazing and (potentially) frightening.