Comments

"Darkness closed upon me like the shutting of an eye..."


My brother knows all the best classic horror stories. Here's one from H.G. Wells, a breezy but atmospheric ghost story that runs only six pages and might call to mind Stephen King's 1408.

The title is "The Red Room," and it begins...

"I can assure you," said I, "that it will take a very tangible ghost to frighten me." And I stood up before the fire with my glass in my hand.

"It is your own choosing," said the man with the withered arm, and glanced at me askance.

"Eight-and-twenty years," said I, "I have lived, and never a ghost have I seen as yet."

The rest is here.

1 comment:

  1. Good story - I think I've read that one before. Most likely here:

    http://www.litgothic.com/index_fl.html

    your internet source for all things creepy, and public domain.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.