Anyway, an interesting glimpse into the Buffy cartoon that might have been. Some of the patter seems a little awkward as filtered through the frantic pace of a cartoon - part of what made Buffy great was the subtler, quiet moments - but overall it retains a lot of the show's fun and it is good patter. I gather the series had writers from the live-action show and obviously a lot of the voices are direct ports (I thought that was Sarah Michelle Gellar for most of the vid). It's impressive.
I think somebody just called the Buffy TV show subtle and complained that the villain in the cartoon was not taken as serious as it might have been in the TV show.
The last thing I expect ANY Buffy property to do is take anything seriously or be subtle.
The whole Xena, Hercules, Buffy genre is founded on a lack of subtlety and a complete inability to be taken seriously... That's the genre's hook.
Nick, you forgot the Alyson Hannigan tag!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, an interesting glimpse into the Buffy cartoon that might have been. Some of the patter seems a little awkward as filtered through the frantic pace of a cartoon - part of what made Buffy great was the subtler, quiet moments - but overall it retains a lot of the show's fun and it is good patter. I gather the series had writers from the live-action show and obviously a lot of the voices are direct ports (I thought that was Sarah Michelle Gellar for most of the vid). It's impressive.
My big beef: Buffy's blasé attitutde about dealing with a dragon. When the threat's big enough - say, dragon-big - I need to believe in its threatingness. It's a time to turn down the wacky. <---- (totally Buffy-speak)
I'm astounded.
ReplyDeleteI think somebody just called the Buffy TV show subtle and complained that the villain in the cartoon was not taken as serious as it might have been in the TV show.
The last thing I expect ANY Buffy property to do is take anything seriously or be subtle.
The whole Xena, Hercules, Buffy genre is founded on a lack of subtlety and a complete inability to be taken seriously... That's the genre's hook.
Oh for Christ's sake, D3.
ReplyDelete