Courtesy of Sci Fi site IO9, first off we've got Warren Ellis and G.I. Joe:
"The idea was, as I understand it, that bringing in a writer with absolutely no nostalgia for the property would give them the tone they were looking for. I think they were happy when I presented them with the initial list of characters I was going to just kill. And then the list of things I was going to blow up."
Uh oh. And further...
"I’ve never even seen a GI JOE. Couldn’t tell you what they look like if you paid me. I know nothing about GI JOE. It is meaningless in my world.
Excellent, Sam said. Just the guy we need."
UH OH.
Ellis may in fact give us the G.I. Joe for those who fucking hate G.I. Joe.
Then there's this script overview of an episode of the new Knight Rider show, a show due almost entirely to the famine like conditions of the fall schedule after the writer's strike. To sum up:
"The good news is, KITT is a car of many talents. Including a 3-D "inkjet" printer that can create a fake key for any car, a special spray that can stop bleeding, and a "cylon laser." Oh, and the ability to help you pick up the hottest girl in any bar by feeding you exactly the right poetry."
I dunno, the Knight Rider stuff sounds precisely like the kind of goofiness I'd expect from the property, and Ellis's "above it all" comments just come off as his usual surly-ass self.
ReplyDeleteI say there is nothing to fear here!
The new G.I. Joe may yet be good, even though I have no interest in it, and the new Knight Rider will probably be as bad as it always had to be ;)