Gary Gygax, who co-created the fantasy game Dungeons & Dragons and helped start the role-playing phenomenon, died Tuesday morning at his home in Lake Geneva. He was 69.
I actually met the guy at an Aggie Con back in 96. And yeah, he was a cool cat. Very laid back. Very friendly. And just eager to talk to people about gaming. It made an impression on me that he was this deity in the Geek Pantheon, but still so down to earth.
From what I understand he was a decent enough guy, but had a rough coke habit, at least at one point. When I saw the announcement I wondered if that had anything to do with his dying so young.
I saw that this was making the rounds. I don't know the first thing about Gygax personally - was he cool? Did he become jerky as his star faded?
ReplyDeleteI don't know any of that stuff, but it's definitely something to have created (or co-created) a whole new entertainment medium. I mean, damn.
Respec', yo.
I actually met the guy at an Aggie Con back in 96. And yeah, he was a cool cat. Very laid back. Very friendly. And just eager to talk to people about gaming. It made an impression on me that he was this deity in the Geek Pantheon, but still so down to earth.
ReplyDeleteFrom what I understand he was a decent enough guy, but had a rough coke habit, at least at one point. When I saw the announcement I wondered if that had anything to do with his dying so young.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.theonion.com/content/amvo/dungeons_amp_dragons_creator_dies
ReplyDeletei saw this very apropos tribute elsewhere:
ReplyDelete"This is for you, Gary.
*pops open a can of Mountain Dew and pours it on the sidewalk*"