Comments

Where the Wild Things Are

For them what don't know, Spike Jonze has been working on a live-action version of the famous kids' book, Where the Wild Things Are. It's set for 2009, and unlike shit like the live-action Grinch and Cat in the Hat, it might actually be good. In fact, judging by this viral video making the rounds, it might even be great.

Oh, and here's a few stills:



4 comments:

  1. Bonus: I just realized that the music fading out as the clip begins is from Beck's "Jack-Ass." One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite musicians, and tonally perfect for something like Wild Things.

    This movie is going to rock hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. Watching the responses roll in at AICN and Bendis's Board, it looks like a lot of people think the movie's gonna suck based on this clip.

    Weird.

    Maybe I'm gonna end up in the minority, but I totally dug it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a lot mellower than I was expecting, but I liked it. I have no idea why people are complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like a lot of people are finding it too slow or too weird or not CGI enough -- all qualities that appeal to me. In fact, more than anything it reminds me of Miyazaki's more gentle outings, like My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service.

    That said, apparently it IS test footage, and the kid isn't the final kid and James Gandolfini voices the creature in the final product. But according to the AICN folks who've seen a cut of the movie, it's very close to the look and feel of the final scene. Here's what I've gathered will make this movie so different, and so potentially love/hate:

    *Creatures will be actors in suits with only the faces CGI'd.
    *All the settings are supposed to be naturalistic, so no heavy CGI attempts to literalize Sendak's art.
    *It's all filmed with a handheld camera.

    Me, I'm really excited to see an experimental director like Jonze really do something experimental with a kids flick. Total fidelity to the source was pretty much out the door as soon as they decided to make it feature length, so I'm just looking for a good film (ala Wizard of Oz and Willy Wonka, both of which took huge liberties with their source material).

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.